charges, convictions, & defenses
DUI First Offense
DUI convictions have severe punishments and life-altering consequences. They are not expungeable – meaning it will remain with you for a lifetime. Thus, it is paramount to hire the right attorney to defend these charges, keep the punishments to a minimum and prevent these convictions from being on your record.
Collins Legal’s DUI defense team is well-versed in this field. We help our clients be part of the statistic that learns from their mistake and never reoffends. A better tomorrow is a safer tomorrow.
What to Expect
Being charged with a DUI is life-altering. It is a set-back that no one can afford to take lightly.
Collins Legal’s DUI defense team has two priorities for all DUI clients.
- Dispose of the charge.
- Give clients the confidence to move forward with life.
DUI First Penalties
Important Information To Know
Having a DUI on your record can have implications on your life that reach far past jail time. When purchasing a home or applying for jobs, schools or loans, DUIs show up on background checks.
- Minimum jail time: 48 hours
- Minimum jail time for .20% BAC [or higher]: 7 consecutive days
- Maximum jail time: 11 months, 29 days
- Minimum driver’s license suspension: 1 year
- Restricted driver’s license eligibility: May be immediately considered if qualifications are met.
- If an offender receives 2 DUI convictions within a 5 year period, an Ignition Interlock Device is required for 6 months after license reinstatement [cost to be paid by offender].
- Complete 24 hours of roadside litter pick-up.
- Complete the state-required Alcohol Safety [DUI] School.
- Complete a state-approved Drug & Alcohol Treatment Program [at Court’s discretion].
- Install a state-approved Ignition Interlock Device [cost to be paid by offender].
- If offender receives 2 DUI convictions within a 5 year period, an Ignition Interlock Device is required for 6 months after license reinstatement [cost to be paid by offender].
- Towing & Impound Fees [discretionary]
- Bail Bond Fees [discretionary]
- State Fines [mandatory]
- Ignition Interlock Device Fees [mandatory]
- Alcohol Safety [DUI] School Fees [mandatory]
- Court Costs [mandatory]
- Probation Fees [mandatory]
- License Reinstatement Fees [mandatory]
* Restitution must be paid to any injured party(ies) for physical injury or personal loss.
While the penalties carried by a DUI First are financially and personally burdensome, it is important to understand that the imposed penalties are heavily influenced by prior criminal convictions.
* All penalties stated herein are mandatory as set by Tennessee state law.
Our defense strategy is formulated based on the events, facts and evidence surrounding the DUI arrest.
- We look into the arresting officer’s conduct and determine if the said officer followed proper protocol.
- We look at whether the blood test and/or breath test were obtained in a constitutional manner.
- We investigate the blood test and/or breath test results chain of custody.
With a decade of experience, our DUI defense team knows the prosecutions’ arguments, the requisite procedures officers should follow, and the law. The lead DUI defense attorney served as a DUI prosecutor for five years – in two separate District Attorney’s offices. Under his leadership, the DUI defense team ensures Collins Legal’s DUI clients are well taken care of.